The idea of creating double-sided solar panels has been considered for a long time. However, until 2016, it did not receive mass adoption, due to the lack of materials capable of absorbing reflected light efficiently enough. In the last 5 years alone, such batteries began to conquer the world market, and their sales in 2020 exceeded $ 1.5 billion.
The main advantages of double-sided solar panels
Let’s list the main advantages of such designs.
- The main advantage of this class of photovoltaics is the ability to increase the efficiency of modules by 25-30% with the same occupied area. This also leads to a list of the main areas of their application – places where limited space is more critical than increased costs.
- The cells on the back of the modules degrade much more slowly. This allows, after a certain time from the start of operation, to simply rotate the panels by 180 °, thereby increasing the effective service life of the module as a whole to 35-40 years.
- As technology improves, the specific productivity of the backside cells is constantly increasing. In just 5 years, it has grown from 10 to 30% of the front surface efficiency, which makes the use of “twins” more and more profitable.
Design features of double-sided solar panels
The main differences from classic solar panels in double modules are as follows:
• Two work surfaces that work independently of each other.
• Significant increase in the efficiency of the back panel when placing modules on surfaces with high albedo (reflectivity). These are snow, soils with a high content of chalk and white limestone, light yellow sands, as well as artificial materials painted in light colors.
• The layout of contacts and conductive strips of the top and bottom panels does not differ. But the fastening system is different and individual for each manufacturer.
• The efficiency of the lower part increases depending on the height of the module. For the front side, this parameter is unimportant.
Double Sided Solar Panel Manufacturers
As of 2021, “twins” for solar power plants are being marketed by almost all well-known global manufacturers. There are also Russian companies among them. The most powerful models are capable of delivering over 500 watts.
Here are some examples of pioneers in the creation of this type of solar battery. Let’s start with a domestic manufacturer.
1. Hevel HLV. Modern Russian development of the company of the same name. It is produced in several power modifications. An example from our store – Hevel HVL-380 / HJT double-sided solar panel. Featured Features:
- Power – 380 watts (314 front + 66 back panel).
- Technology – heterostructural “glass-glass”.
- Efficiency – 22.3%.
- Operating temperature range – from -40 ° С to + 85 ° С.
2. ZEBRA IBC. Joint development of Singaporean and German engineers. Introduced in 2019, announcing the following features:
- Efficiency – 29% (22% + 7% of the top and bottom panels, respectively).
- The service life is over 35 years (with a mutual change in the position of both sides).
- Power – 410 watts (332 front + 78 back).
- Cell production technology – 3D printing.
- The number of elements is 60 on each side.
3. Duomax V. Double-sided solar panels created using PERC technology from the Chinese giant Trina Solar Co., Ltd. International Photovoltaic Power Generation Conference & Exhibition Award for 2020. The first “twins” with a capacity of over 500 watts. Also known:
- a single monolithic block of semiconductor layer and protective glass;
- 4% lower LCOE;
- 20% higher specific performance (the size of 500 + W kopeck pieces is approximately equal to a classic 400 W module).
- 30% higher strength than any analogues.
The world’s leading experts point out that double-sided solar panels have the most favorable prospects for further improvement.